Final Project- Teaching the Second Conditional
In order to teach the Second Conditional to 6th of primary, I would split the lesson into two sessions. In the first session I would start by playing the song “If I Were a Boy” by Beyonce accompanied by a listening activity for the students to do. This song serves two purposes. Firstly, it’s a good listening exercises and, secondly, I find it’s a nice alternative to introducing the topic rather than just lecturing. Throughout the song there are various examples of the second conditional and it’s a good way for the students to see its use in context.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWpsOqh8q0M
If I Were a Boy listening activity
The second part of the first session would be dedicated to explaining the structure and use of the second conditional with some examples. I would present this information in this way:
Form: If + past simple, would + infinitive (without to)
Use: to talk about hypothetical or highly unlikely situations
ex. - If I won the lottery, I would buy a house in Granada.
- He would visit Japan if he spoke Japanese
After the explanation a worksheet would be handed-out so that the students could practice and get familiar with the grammar and sentence structure.
During the second session I would introduce two more activities that are directed at getting the students to think more freely and use the second conditional in more contextual manner. The first is a simple writing exercise to practice the second conditional and spark the students’ imagination.
The activity is as follows: On a blank piece of paper the students write the prompt “If you had the next 24 hours to do whatever you wanted and it would all be erased after the 24 hours, what would you do?” They then proceed to write a short paragraph (5-7 sentences).
The second activity is partner activity so the students have an opportunity to work on their oral skills with the second conditional. The activity consists in pairwork in which the two students guess what their partner would do in different situations.
Comments
Post a Comment